Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Recone adhesives, compounds, Etc.

  1. #1
    Inactive Member thevott's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 11th, 2003
    Posts
    91
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Though there is no substitute for a professional remagnitize and recone, can anyone comment on the solvents, various adhesives, shim thicknesses and edge compounds that are involved in this precision operation.
    Thanks, and long live the authentic Altec.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Roland N R's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 24th, 2003
    Posts
    113
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Briefly:

    Solvent: Acetone

    Adhesive: Polyurethane glue-dries clear and flexible - can use it for everything including cloth surrounds.

    Shims: whatever will fit totally around Voice coils.

    Best of luck.
    Share and enjoy

    Roland

  3. #3
    Inactive Member thevott's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 11th, 2003
    Posts
    91
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    According to Altec literature that came in a recone kit I bought several years ago, at least three different cements and three different edge compounds are used. Unfortunately they are only referred to by part numbers and not by chemical composition. Spiders are to be glued with #7068 cement, outer edge to frame is #7068 or #124067 and the dust dome is #4585 cement. The surround dope is either #54007, #54007/15 (methyl ethyl keytone), or #124078 (water base). In addition, the literature says to use #510 Air Flex on models 515G, 3184, 3156, 3127, ER15, Etc. Perhaps some of these part numbers refer simply to various dilutions of the same cement. I suppose there's always Elmer's! Just kidding!!

  4. #4
    Inactive Member cclark65's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2003
    Posts
    339
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I cannot recall the number right now, but I used some sort of loctite adhesive, high temp stuff, I think it was some type of epoxy, to glue the voice coil to the cone. I don't think polyurethane glue would hold up there.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.